My Life on the Wagon


Thursday, January 28, 2010

Daily Meditation: January 28

Here's a peek inside my mind, for those of you who are interested in how this recovery thing works, at least for me.
Every day I read from the Day by Day meditations book and reflect upon what it means to me in my recovery. Today's topic is change, and since it seems particularly appropriate given my new blog and way of life that I have alluded to in my previous post, I will share it with you. It begins with a context for the meditation, then introduces a prayer, and then allows for a reflection for the reader. Here is today's:

January 28: Believing in Change


At first, drugs and booze turned us on; later they turned on us. We couldn't find any peace anywhere. We began turning into the kind of person we didn't want to be, but we didn't know what was happening to us or how to change.
When we came to believe that our lives could and would turn around if we quit drinking or using, things began to get better.

Do I believe in change?

Higher Power, help me to be open-minded and humble enough to believe that what has worked to change the lives of others will work to change mine.

Today I will seek change by committing myself to willingness. I have a tendency to isolate and in doing so, I show my unwillingness to commit to the principles of the AA program that have worked for so many others. By showing that I am willing to change this aspect of my personality, I begin in earnest to progress in my recovery. I believe that this "psychic change" can and will happen for me if I only commit fully to the program of recovery that I have been introduced to through meetings, recovery literature, and my sponsor. I need only exhibit a willingness to do what is asked of me, and today that is to avoid isolating and embrace the help, fellowship, and guidance of others. I will also seek change by letting go of my own will and ask my Higher Power to guide me as he sees fit.

"God help me to stay clean and sober today!"


It's a little awkward sharing this with other people, particularly with non-alcoholic-types, as I have been more or less surrounded with the alcoholic-variety of persons for the better part of a month. It's become relatively easy for me to share my feelings and problems with my fellow alcoholics, as I know that on some level they understand, even if they haven't experienced what I have specifically. That, in my short time sober, has not been the case with non-drinkers, social drinkers, or any variety of drinking person who doesn't suffer from this disease or known someone who has. It is my hope that as my friends and others read this, they will begin to come to an understanding about what makes this particular malady so confounding and frustrating, and will better prepare them for dealing with alcoholics in life. There are many of us in the world, some are in meetings, and some are still out on the street. Today, I am thankful to be one of the former.

Speaking of, here's a joke for y'all:
Q; What's the difference between an alcoholic and a drunk?
A: Alcoholics have to go to meetings.

ba-dum-chich!

No comments:

Post a Comment